Kodewerx

Our culture has advanced beyond all that you could possibly comprehend with one hundred percent of your brain.
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:10 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:24 am 
Kommunist
Kommunist

Title: I.N.E.V.I.T.A.B.L.E
which assembly compiler do i get started with? any links on tutorials/books would be greatly appreciated.
(specifically have custom movelists and third move slot for all jobs!)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:37 pm 
Krew (Admin)
Krew (Admin)

Title: All in a day's work.
I had trouble finding a lightweight assembler (basically, I wanted a 1:1 translation from assembly to machine code).

Here's what I've found:
  • goldroad ARM Assembler - Has many bugs, but is capable and simple. Also, it's Windows-only and closed-source. Yuck...
  • pyga Gameboy Advance Assembly Tool - AWESOME! An assembler written in Python (open source *AND* portable!!) Lacks all support for ARM instruction set (Thumb-only) Yuck...

May or may not be easy to fix pyga (add ARM support)... Also, why is Labmaster slacking off, anyway? Maybe he should be convinced to continue working on it!

It is possible to get a 1:1 binary out of GCC, after jumping through a bunch of hoops with compiler arguments and then passing the object through objdump...

Feed me a stray cat.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:57 am 
Komrade
Komrade

Whoa, there's already a python assembler for ARM?

My collaborator said he had just finished writing one also in python because he wanted a solution to our desire to be able to have multi-platform assembling done for our multi-platform ROM hacking utility.

Now, I haven't used his yet, or any others for that matter...I've been using devkitARM, which hasn't given me any trouble. I've been getting the so called "1:1" results you apparently desire, Para, as evidenced by my ability to write assembly code that, when passed through devkitARM's utilities with the flags I've chosen, outputs a binary that is the exact binary I need, which I then format into text which can be plugged right into an Action Replay DS code manager.

But supposedly the python assembler my friend wrote supports all features of the language I regularly use and has support for customized directives suited for dynamic ROM hacking.

He's probably going to be upset to know that there's already an ARM assembler written in py. D:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:30 pm 
Krew (Admin)
Krew (Admin)

Title: All in a day's work.
Zeld wrote:
Now, I haven't used his yet, or any others for that matter...I've been using devkitARM, which hasn't given me any trouble. I've been getting the so called "1:1" results you apparently desire, Para, as evidenced by my ability to write assembly code that, when passed through devkitARM's utilities with the flags I've chosen, outputs a binary that is the exact binary I need, which I then format into text which can be plugged right into an Action Replay DS code manager.

... Which is pretty much what I said.
Parasyte wrote:
It is possible to get a 1:1 binary out of GCC, after jumping through a bunch of hoops with compiler arguments and then passing the object through objdump...

Zeld wrote:
He's probably going to be upset to know that there's already an ARM assembler written in py. D:

Google, much?

Feed me a stray cat.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:28 am 
Komrade
Komrade

I read the first line of your post and not the last. My bad. >_>

Neither of us had ever seen a multiply cross platform assembler before and didn't guess to look for one.

But the idea of an assembler being tied to any one system is ludicrous. Everyone wants to program for ARM systems.