Kodewerx

Our culture has advanced beyond all that you could possibly comprehend with one hundred percent of your brain.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:00 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: EnHacklopedia
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 4:17 pm 
Kommunist
Kommunist

Title: Crazy Snake
The Hacking Text v5.00c has been with us a long time. V5 is a few years old now, but if you ever saw V4 you'd know it was a major improvement over the previous revision. It's still a huge mess of information that could be better organized. Some people have said in the past that we should move on to making newer guides. Problem with that is a ton of the info in the original text still applies to hacking today's systems.

A few of us in IRC were talking about cleaning it up and getting together some guides/info on GCN/DS/etc specific hacking. One of the suggestions was dividing it up... Having the bulk of the stuff that applies to everything (hex info, basics, hacking specific types of codes, etc) then seperate pages for system specific info. Tutorials on getting started with GCNrd, DS, etc.

Some of the things we would want to add:
GCN hacking info - Gettin ggoing with GCNrd, PowerPC stuff, whatever else people are willing to write about. (TS?)
DS - finding/using pointers, AR/CB code types, all that stuff. (Dlong/DSman/Kenobi?)
PSP - There was a way of cheating on PSP that should be covered too. Lemma might do that for us.
PS2 - I'd like to find someone with more PS2 hacking experience to give some tips/guides on finding codes for it, and how the hooks/enablers work, etc
N64 - I'll probably write something about pointers and R4300i with that system. I don't remember if I ever added DMA info or not, so that may be an option. I think Para wrote a guide ot hacking Jesus Mode codes. We'll need that added too. I seem to remember him going in-depth on something else at the same time, but I can't remember what. I'll check my archived threads.

Ok. Ideas? Contributions? Also feel free to point out any bad info in the existing version.

Last edited by Viper on Sat Apr 07, 2007 10:56 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 4:27 pm 
Here's the basic outline I was thinking about. I haven't done outlines since elementary school, but whatever.

Code:
I. Basics
    A.) Number storage formats
        1.) Hex
        2.) Two's complement
        3.) IEEE-754
        4.) BCD
        5.) Conversions
        6.) Big endian
        7.) Little endian
        8.) AND
        9.) OR
        10.) XOR
        11.) NOT
        12.) NAND
        13.) NOR
        14.) Shifts
        15.) Rotate
    B.) Generic code hacking tutorials (For codes requiring ASM, we can just give a general idea of the opcodes to look for. Ex.) "Rupees worth 5. Look for a load code type"; instead of being specific (LDA, etc.)
        1.) Infinite Health/Money/Ammo/etc.
        2.) Infinite time
        3.) Moon jump
        4.) Breaking limits
        5.) Have x item code
        6.) Walk-through-walls
        7.) Invincibility
        8.) Skip intros
        9.) Level mods
        10.) Size/image mods
        11.) Debug menus
        12.) Jesus mode
        13.) Speed mod
        14.) Timer mod
        15.) Porting codes
II.) Individual Systems
    A.) Gameboy
        1.) Hacking using Gameshark Pro
        2.) Hacking using Codebreaker
        3.) Gameshark Pro code types
        4.) Codebreak code types
        5.) Hacking using VisualBoy
        6.) Z80 Assembly
        7.) Using VisualBoy's debugger to make Game Genie codes
        8.) How to encode Game Genie codes
    B.) NES
        1.) Hacking using FCE Ultra Debug
        2.) 6502 Assembly
        3.) Using FCE Ultra Debug's debugger to make Game Genie codes
        4.) How to encode Game Genie codes
    C.) SNES
        1.) Hacking using SNES9x/ZSNES (mention that ZSNES is a piece of shit)
        2.) 65816 Assembly
        3.) Using SNES9x Debugger to make Game Genie codes
    D.) Genesis
        1.) Hacking using ????? (does Kega let you hack?)
        2.) M68k Assembly
        3.) Using ?????'s Debugger to make Game Genie codes
    E.) Gameboy Advance
        1.) Hacking using VisualBoy Advance
        2.) Codebreaker/Gameshark SP code types
        3.) Gameshark Advance code types
        4.) Action Replay code types
        5.) Encrypting/Decrypting Codebreaker/Gameshark SP codes
        6.) Encrypting/Decrypting Gameshark/Action Replay codes
        7.) ARM7 Assembly
        8.) Using VBA-SDL to make assembly hacks
        9.) Making GSSP/CBA master codes
        10.) Making GSA/ARV3 master codes
        11.) Converting between AR, CB, and GS.
    F.) N64 (Viper's Job!)
        1.) Hacking using Gameshark Pro
        2.) Hacking using Renegade 64 with 1964/Nemu/Mupen/PJ64
        3.) Hacking using PJ64 and PCS
        4.) Gameshark Code types
        5.) R4300i assembly
        6.) Using Nemu to make assembly hacks
        7.) Using GSCCC2k to make assembly hacks
    G.) GCN (TS?)
        1.) Setting up GCNrd
        2.) Hacking using GCNrd
        3.) AR code types
        4.) Making master codes
        5.) Encrypting/Decrypting AR codes
        6.) PowerPC assembly
        7.) Using GCNrd to make assembly hacks
    H.) NDS
        1.) Hacking using Renegade64 with No$GBA
        2.) Hacking using Datel's Trainer
        3.) AR code types
        4.) CB code types
        5.) Encrypting/Decrypting CB codes (Not currently possible)
        6.) Hacking CB master codes
        7.) ARM9 assembly
        8.) Using ?????? to make assembly hacks (Not currently possible)
        9.) Converting between AR and CB
    I.) PSX
        1.) Hacking using ?????? (ePSXe?)
        2.) GS code types
        3.) r4000 assembly
        4.) Using ?????? to make assembly hacks
    J.) PS2
        1.) Hacking using ??????
        2.) CB code types
        3.) AR code types
        4.) ARMAX code types
        5.) Encrypting/Decrypting CB codes
        6.) Encrypting/Decrypting AR codes
        7.) Encrypting/Decrypting ARMAX codes
        8.) Making CB master codes
        9.) Making AR master codes
        10.) Making ARMAX master codes
        11.) ?????? Assembly
        12.) Using ?????? to make assembly hacks
        13.) Converting between AR, CB, and ARMAX

Last edited by dlong on Sat Mar 31, 2007 11:12 am, edited 8 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 4:27 pm 
Komrade
Komrade

Title: Mr. Bitches
I am motivated to wrote DS stuff, though once you start to get into assembly hacks on any system I am of no help.

jleemero wrote:
Being required to learn Java for a Comp Sci MAJOR is like being required to shit on a lawnmower to be an astronaut.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 5:10 pm 
Kommunist
Kommunist

more than happy to help out if needed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 5:27 pm 
Komrade
Komrade

Done with the CBDS Mastercode creation section. These are all copylefted, bitches. :P
Code:
   Hacking Master codes for the Codebreaker couldn't be simpler with Dlong's <a href=http://kodewerx.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=461>Master Code Creator</a>.

Once you have downloaded the app all you need is the ROM of the game you need the Master code from. Asking on the forums won't get you anywhere, so don't even bother.

Anyway, once you have the ROM you need to put it in the same folder as the Master Code Creator app. To run the application you need to:

1) Know how to use the goddamn Command Prompt
2) Navigate to the folder the app is in via the Command Prompt
3) Next, execute the app.

It's simple really. Now you should be presented with your master code. More often than not you will be faced with more than one code. You'll have to test them out until you find one that works consistently with your game.

From the desk of Parasyte:
To find the Mastercode manually you will need to locate these instructions in both of the ARM executables:
.long 0xE59F1008@ ldrr1, =intr_table
.long 0xE7910100@ ldrr0, [r1,r0,LSL#2]
.long 0xE59FE004@ ldrlr, =ret_loc
.long 0xE12FFF10@ bxr0
They might not be found in the ARM9 executable because of decompression, but it will always be in plain sight in the ARM7. All you have to do is hook that =retloc, which is always 2 words after that bx r0
Done the same way as hooking any other pointer.  This is how Kwurdi's automatic hook search has functioned for the last two and half years. Hasn't failed yet..

And the converting between CB and AR:
Code:
   “OMG i gots teh jawsome codes for the ARz but i dnot no ho w to use wiht  mie Cbzzz!!!1!!!” To handle the aformentioned problem, you need to convert your Action Replay codes to Codebreaker codes. An easy way to convert most codes is to use Dlong's <a href=http://kodewerx.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525>Converter app</a>.

When you're on the go-go and have no access to a PC or internets you may have to, zomg, do this by hand. Not to fret, If you are familiar with the Action Replay and Codebreaker codetypes most codes can be easily be converted. Most can be converted by simply swapping the first number out for a different number.

Take this Special Stage Ring Modifier I hacked for Sonic Rush for example:
AR
22181F28 000000xx

This code happens to be a simple 8-bit write. We find out that the Codebreaker's 8-bit write codetype is 0. Let's just swap out that 2 for a 0 and we get:

CB
02181F28 000000xx

Most codes can be ported this way. More complicated codes can be converted, but you really need to know your code/codetypes to do this.

Here's a more complicated code I have hacked:
Yoshi's Island DS (U)
Moonjump

94000130 FFFD0000
62105f88 00000000
B2105f88 00000000
20000055 00000099
d2000000 00000000

Let's break this down first.

94000130 FFFD0000  <- An if == 16-bit code. No sweat here.
62105f88 00000000    <- A 32 bits If !=. Again, this should be easy.
B2105f88 00000000   <- Starting to get a bit more complicated here. The next two lines make up a pointer
20000055 00000099       code. We'll get to this.
D2000000 00000000 <- This is a terminator code and does not have a Codebreaker equivalent.

“Okay, I can do all this other stuff, but what do I do with this pointer?”

Glad you asked.

The Codebreaker actually has a nice pointer codetype.
6XXXXXXX YYYYYYYY
ZZZZZZZZ BCTUVVVV

X = The pointer's address. In this case it equals 02105f88.
Y = The value we want written. Here is is 99.
Z = The offset. The offset for this particular Moonjump address is 00000055
B = Bit-type Write, 0 for 8-bit, 1 for 16-Bit & 2 for 32-Bit. In this case B == 0
C = An optional condition. This is unneeded for this code.
T, U, and V pertain to the condition, and will not be used. Leave these as 0. You can learn more about this codetype in general by reading the Codebreaker Codetypes section.

Our code, once converted, turns out to be:
62105f88 00000099
00000055 00000000

If you know your codetypes you should now be able to convert codes by both automated and manual methods.

jleemero wrote:
Being required to learn Java for a Comp Sci MAJOR is like being required to shit on a lawnmower to be an astronaut.

Last edited by Dualscreenman on Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 6:45 pm 
Kommunist
Kommunist

Title: Ancient Code Sage
Also, please do not forget about the FAQ section which is at the back of the Text. This section could stand an update for today's newer systems as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 6:50 pm 
Komrade
Komrade

I'll be working on getting the DS codetypes into (a hopefully more XHTML compliant) a format like v5.00 of the hacking text.

PAIN IN THE REAR AWAY!

jleemero wrote:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 6:53 pm 
Krew (Admin)
Krew (Admin)

Title: The Mad Hacker
Viper wrote:
Some of the things we would want to add:
GCN hacking info - Gettin ggoing with GCNrd, PowerPC stuff, whatever else people are willing to write about. (TS?)
Sure. I don't really know how useful GCN stuff will be since BBAs and the first PSO aren't very easy to find but I suppose I could. The readme for GCNrd is all you really need for the first one and PowerPC would be fun to write about. I could start with the basics like breakpoints and work up to backtracing and hijacking for codes. I'll hop on IRC soon and see what should be done first.

Viper wrote:
I think Para wrote a guide ot hacking Jesus Mode codes. We'll need that added too. I seem to remember him going in-depth on something else at the same time, but I can't remember what. I'll check my archived threads.
At that time he wrote guides for Jesus Mode, Climb any wall, and I think model-change hacks. I feel like there was one more too but I'm not sure..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 9:08 pm 
Kommunist
Kommunist

I know I've been away for awhile, and now I don't have that much free time (full time job, taking classes), but I want to be involved somehow, as I somewhat helped as editor for the last major version.

Anyways, whether I get involved or not, I say throw out all system specific hacking, and make that into separate document[s], and keep the general methods and explanations of how to hack code types as the main text. Maybe a wiki-like area devoted to the hacking "text"? And there are also a whole load of systems that haven't been touched upon....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 9:30 pm 
Information on backtracing is a must for all the sections on assembly. I have the annotated codes that Viper and Para did saved on my PC. I'll post them here once I'm off spring break.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 6:50 am 
Kommunist
Kommunist

Title: Ancient Code Sage
Specifics can be useful as examples...we must be careful if we dissect the Text up. Seems to me we have a lot of people interested in the revision....now...it would be nice to let Para weigh in and give his wisdom to all this...after all...it was his creation and vision that brought this Text to all of us.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 10:30 am 
Krew (Admin)
Krew (Admin)

Title: All in a day's work.
Write everything from the ground, up. If one line is copy-pasted or even paraphrased from V5, I want nothing to do with the project. There are just too many authors who have contributed to it and then disappeared. The portions they have contributed are copyrighted.

- Give it a new name. It should be its own project, and it should stand alone.
- License it. Maybe Creative Commons, unless anyone has a better suggestion. One all-encompassing 'copyleft/share-alike' license will help to prevent the copyright loophole that V5 has now fallen into.
- The highest priorities should be given in an order similar to this (please make corrections as necessary):
  • Authoring guidelines; a formal description of how language and writing styles should be used for consistency throughout the project.
  • Basics
    • Hacking basics (number bases and mathematics)
    • Basic hacking theory (how comparative searches work, etc.)
    • Specific hacking theory (mini tutorials demystifying different kinds of codes. Infinite *, Moon Jump, Activators, etc.)
  • Intermediate/Advanced
    • Basic programming theory (and addendum to 'specific hacking theory' which will introduce programming concepts and examples discussed previously [Moon Jumps and gravity simulation, etc.] using pseudo-code)
    • Specific programming theory (assembly languages and theories for hacking with them. 'Hooking' routines with jumps, master codes, etc.)
  • Console Specifics
    • Current generation hacking
    • Last generation hacking
    • Classic generation hacking

Feed me a stray cat.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 3:05 pm 
Krew (Admin)
Krew (Admin)

Title: The Mad Hacker
For the title:
GameHacking 101b (That's 5 in decimal!)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 3:44 pm 
But it's supposed to be V6?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 4:06 pm 
Krew (Admin)
Krew (Admin)

It's supposed to have a new name and remain independent of any work copyrighted under GSCentral.

Feed me a stray cat.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 4:46 pm 
Kommunist
Kommunist

In any event, I need to re-write my tutorials. Not just because Para said we'd need original content, but because they're so damn confusing, even for me...and I'm the one who wrote them. But I guess that's where the authoring guidelines would come in.

Also, we'd need to draw the line for each "generation." Does DS count as current-gen, or does its release date make it last-gen, even though hacking didn't start until this gen? Since 360/Wii/PS3 hacking seems to be limited to modding, is PS2/GCN/Xbox counted as "current-gen" or "last-gen"? Etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 5:07 pm 
Krew (Admin)
Krew (Admin)

I would have to say "current generation" are the consoles currently on the market, without a successor. That would include DS until "DS2" is available. PS2, GCN and Xbox all have successors this generation, making them "last generation" consoles. N64 and PSX both have successors from at least two generations, making them "classic generation" along with SNES and Atari 2600 (assuming Atari 2600 should even be included).

I suppose a basic rule-of-thumb would be:

Current Generation: any console currently at retail with no successors.
Last Generation: any console with one successor, regardless of retail or manufacture status.
Classic Generation: Any console with more than one successor, or no longer sold at retail or in manufacture.

Feed me a stray cat.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 5:34 pm 
Kommunist
Kommunist

So "generation" is not defined by hacking "generation" status ("current-gen" would be DS, "last-gen" would be N64, etc.), but instead by release date? Gotcha. I guess it makes more sense than trying to define when a "hacking generation" starts and ends.

As for formatting, how will the new version of the Text look? Old-school style with plain text, pictures, and lots of <pre> tags on one page? Multiple pages with more tables? A color scheme based on KW's final scheme?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 5:44 pm 
Kommunist
Kommunist

Icy Guy wrote:
As for formatting, how will the new version of the Text look? Old-school style with plain text, pictures, and lots of <pre> tags on one page? Multiple pages with more tables? A color scheme based on KW's final scheme?

If we do this, it'll be XHTML, multi-page (within reason). Best thing to do is rig it up with a stylesheet common to all files, so everything keeps the same general layout/colors all the way through and it's easy to tweak.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 5:53 pm 
Kommunist
Kommunist

"if"? Viper, the last time you talked about updating the Text, we did. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 8:31 pm 
Krew (Admin)
Krew (Admin)

Here is an example of what to expect (and also my initial proposal for authoring guidelines; incomplete): http://kodewerx.net/doc/guidelines.html

Feed me a stray cat.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:14 am 
Kommunist
Kommunist

When and where should we contribute our guides and articles to prevent theft until this project is put together?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 6:46 am 
Kommunist
Kommunist

I shall sit this one out then; I have nothing to contribute but some in-depth Game Genie knowledge for the NES. I look forward to seeing this as a final product though...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 6:57 am 
Kommunist
Kommunist

don't sit out, NES is classic generation which will also be included in this guide. In-depth game genie knowledge would be a great contribution to those who want to take their NES codes and use them on real hardware.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 8:55 am 
Krew (Admin)
Krew (Admin)

We haven't really come to any conclusions yet on how to do networked documentation. It would be great if I could get a CVS or SVN server setup, but I've been unfortunate to get a CVS daemon (one that is installed with Slackware, no less) to work at all. Another option is a PHP-driven web tool with similar operation to a CVS server (maintains a history and patch collection with GNU diff and patch). The easiest option, though, will be giving everyone FTP access to the doc directory. This will have to be done with caution, and a lot of coordination over IRC. It would probably be the last resort.

In any case, it should be a community effort with public access to the latest uploaded revisions. The documentation will be protected by a copyleft/share-alike license over all. Which means that anyone will be allowed to redistribute and modify it as they see fit, so long as all previous attribution (credit) is maintained. Such a license has a few drawbacks, such as sacrificing the freedoms to restrict distribution or modification. But it also grants freedoms which are perhaps more important; mainly granting every freedom that the authors have, to anyone and everyone who wants them. The only freedom one does not have is the ability to take freedoms away from others. With a copyleft/share-alike license, the work can never fall into the legal loophole that the current document has.

And just as a heads-up, some share-alike licenses, like the GNU GFDL, also have specific clauses which can make author-defined sections mandatory (non-removable and non-editable), called invariables. This means, if we wanted to be truly evil about it, we could write nasty things about Rune/GSCentral and make them invariable. This is a bad idea for several reasons, but it is an extreme option that may be necessary due to Rune/GSCentral's recent behavior regarding our work.

So the main points are:
- Community effort.
- Open work, with some rights reserved.

And I would recommend starting on things whenever you feel comfortable to begin. The one thing I ask is that you keep in mind the highest priorities of the project. I've outlined a few samples and prioritized them in my initial post, but I was hoping other people would have ideas and opinions to contribute to it. Of course, the top of the list is authoring guidelines, to keep everything in a formal standard and make working/reading as easy as possible, but perhaps a greater priority is choosing the right license! I'm certainly looking forward to any input regarding the project priorities.

Finally, Macrox is attempting to get the copyright loophole settled. The old documents will be a good source of reference, but copy-pasting things into a new XHTML format just will not work (at this point, I'm willing to consider this plagiarism in the interest of our license and authors). We still have to finalize the authoring guidelines before any of that work can be incorporated, any way. That will all be some time in the future, and in the meantime there are still plenty of other higher priority things to get polished.

Feed me a stray cat.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 9:32 am 
Kommunist
Kommunist

Could PC hacking fit in here somewhere? I would love to see this document be a one stop for all that is game hacking. There are plenty of things that could be explained for PC such as code injection and in-game trainers and even how to make a basic trainer. If PC makes its way in we could all contribute functions that could be added into a trainer project to help people make trainers. Functions that you could pass a window title to be trained and pass addresses/values/codetype to be written.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:44 am 
Kommunist
Kommunist

Parasyte wrote:
And just as a heads-up, some share-alike licenses, like the GNU GFDL, also have specific clauses which can make author-defined sections mandatory (non-removable and non-editable), called invariables. This means, if we wanted to be truly evil about it, we could write nasty things about Rune/GSCentral and make them invariable. This is a bad idea for several reasons, but it is an extreme option that may be necessary due to Rune/GSCentral's recent behavior regarding our work.

Well, we should include a history section, we could tell the tale of how fucked up Rune is, along with the hacking highlights and other interesting info/events through the years we've been on the scene. The GSC - Interact association, the ownership of the GS name, device history, etc.

Parasyte wrote:
Finally, Macrox is attempting to get the copyright loophole settled. The old documents will be a good source of reference, but copy-pasting things into a new XHTML format just will not work (at this point, I'm willing to consider this plagiarism in the interest of our license and authors). We still have to finalize the authoring guidelines before any of that work can be incorporated, any way. That will all be some time in the future, and in the meantime there are still plenty of other higher priority things to get polished.

I already wrote examples for most of the useful R4300i hacks. I don't intend on doing it from fucking scratch a second time, nor is it easy to find different games to write the same type of examples for in some cases. I can only hope that mac is able to fix this copyright problem. Then at least some of us can clean/update and reuse some of the shit we already spent so much time on. I don't think anyone wants to completely rewrite the code types info for stuff like GBA ARv3 (written by Kenobi, I believe). Most of those are pretty detailed explanations already, it would just need reformatted for XHTML and cleaned up.

kickenchicken57 wrote:
Could PC hacking fit in here somewhere? I would love to see this document be a one stop for all that is game hacking. There are plenty of things that could be explained for PC such as code injection and in-game trainers and even how to make a basic trainer. If PC makes its way in we could all contribute functions that could be added into a trainer project to help people make trainers. Functions that you could pass a window title to be trained and pass addresses/values/codetype to be written.

Damn! I'm glad someone remembered that. We do need PC hacking info. Some guides on doing basic x86 hacks, maybe a trainer source code example, getting around games with hacker unfriendly code, etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 12:43 pm 
Krew (Admin)
Krew (Admin)

Some good points, Viper.

PC game hacking is its own science. Often you'll be left trying to deal with anti-cheat, anti-crack, and anti-debug code, which includes (but is in no way limited to) executable compression, encryption, and obfuscation; checksumming and hashing; exceptions, exception handlers, hardware breakpoints, and debugger detection; and a whole slew of different 'cheat detection' mechanisms. Learning all of that is fun to a point. But after a while dealing with all these things becomes a chore. (Not to mention a lot of this stuff can be used for cracking that has been deemed illegal by the DMCA.)

One should write PC hacking sections carefully.

Feed me a stray cat.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 1:00 pm 
Kommunist
Kommunist

There are also the older games that are still fun to hack that have little or no protection. Delta Force 2 for example has no protection that I know of, is on-line hackable, and still has an active community. I guess we could always have these tutorials ran by an editor and have a final approval by the legally conscious people to make sure it does not violate any laws if any "cheat detection" needs bypassing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 1:09 pm 
Kommunist
Kommunist

Parasyte wrote:
Some good points, Viper.

PC game hacking is its own science. Often you'll be left trying to deal with anti-cheat, anti-crack, and anti-debug code, which includes (but is in no way limited to) executable compression, encryption, and obfuscation; checksumming and hashing; exceptions, exception handlers, hardware breakpoints, and debugger detection; and a whole slew of different 'cheat detection' mechanisms. Learning all of that is fun to a point. But after a while dealing with all these things becomes a chore. (Not to mention a lot of this stuff can be used for cracking that has been deemed illegal by the DMCA.)

One should write PC hacking sections carefully.

I would've thought writing about the stuff in an educational sense was legal either way. The way the information is used isn't really our problem. If it were, simply talking about emulators and rom hacking would be raise legal issues too.