Kodewerx

Our culture has advanced beyond all that you could possibly comprehend with one hundred percent of your brain.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:17 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 4:00 pm 
Kommunist
Kommunist

Say I play Super Smash Bros. Brawl with my friends through Wifi. Does connecting to the Internet like that automatically update my Wii's firmware, with me knowing?

Same question for the DSi, if I connect and surf the net with it, would the firmware update by itself?

Or does the system need my permission for every update?
Because of the recent updates Nintendo made (Blocking flashcarts, mods, etc.), I can see why people wouldn't just go to the system options and hit "Update Firmware".

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:14 am 
Komrade
Komrade

Title: Mario Kart 64 Hacker
As far as I know, Nintendo has never done a firmware update that doesn't first warn you it's about to update. I wouldn't say it's optional, because games will refuse to run without them, but of course you can work around that.

There are indeed some updates that do only harm (possibly bricking even an unmodified Wii, for no gain), and you are better off not installing them... since that particular update would also wipe out BootMii, the only safe thing to do is use a homebrew loader to bypass installing it. Silly, silly Nintendo.