Kodewerx

Our culture has advanced beyond all that you could possibly comprehend with one hundred percent of your brain.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:30 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: N64 gameshark code types
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 9:18 am 
Kommunist
Kommunist

What does the "A0" gameshark code type do?

I've only seen it used in super mario 64 codes

The reason I'm asking is because I was wondering if there was a way to one-time write hundreds of codes.

are there any other code types besides 50, 80, 88, d0, and d2?(excluding the 16-bit counterparts)

the N64 gameshark only appears to be able to constant write about 200 codes, and that's probably just when it's a serial repeater.

i read on a faq somewhere the reason it needs so much memory to constant write is because it uses an inefficient method to do it, and maybe you could actually use a code that alters the area in memory the gameshark uses to apply codes to make this more efficient with an asm hack.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 5:30 pm 
Krew (Admin)
Krew (Admin)

Title: All in a day's work.
It writes to the uncached memory range: 0xA0000000 - 0xA07FFFFF

The best way to fix the code limit (as I tried to explain in the other thread) is to patch the GS ROM with a better code engine, and flash that sucker.

Feed me a stray cat.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:43 am 
Kommunist
Kommunist

..is there a point to the A0 code? Doesn't uncached memory just slow things down unless you're trying to avoid virtual memory?

..and- IS there already a ROM patch that will allow my GS to use more codes? Just give me the step-by-step instructions of all the physical/nonphysical supplies needed, where I can find them, and I'll go do that and stop posting all these silly threads.(well, I'm done posting them already, but)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:05 am 
Krew (Admin)
Krew (Admin)

Title: All in a day's work.
I think the idea at the time was that writing to cached memory would have required flushing the cache before the write actually "took effect" ... meaning, there was some doubt about N64's memory cache at the time those codes were created.

If you were to change the code type to 80 on all of those codes, you will discover that they work exactly the same; no better, and no worse than the A0 code type.

Feed me a stray cat.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 1:46 am 
Komrade
Komrade

Title: Mario Kart 64 Hacker
I thought A0/A1 were found to not actually exist, and just be a side effect of all invalid types defaulting to 80/81?

I've always been curious as well (but not enough to try it) if the 8x/Dx types are explicitly checked for, or just individual bits are looked at. If so, there could be some that exist purely as side effects such as D8, D9, DA, DB, 58, etc.