Kodewerx

Our culture has advanced beyond all that you could possibly comprehend with one hundred percent of your brain.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:39 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Problem Making a Patch
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 12:36 pm 
Kommunist
Kommunist

Quote:
OK, so I've been working on a project on Fire Emblem: Blazing Sword (FE7).

Here's the story:

Everything has been going smoothly so far. I was able to make patches before.

Now, while inserting graphics (I use unlz-gba) I have had problems with the images being too big. Before, I used to just chop off some pixels to make it fit, but that lowered the quality.

I then discovered how to use an expanded ROM. I then expanded the ROM from 16MB to 32MB. If the image was too big, I would just repoint it to somewhere else in the ROM.

Now, here is my problem. I can't make a patch (obvious from the topic title).

At first, I was using an unexpanded ROM (16MB). It said that I couldn't make a patch because I went beyond the 16MB. I thought that I should just expand the "unmodified" ROM to do it.

Well, that didn't work. It still said that I couldn't use any offset passed the 16MB mark (which is 0xFFFFFF in my ROM). It said that the IPS format isn't designed to go that far.

I used both Lunar IPS and WindHex32 to try and make the patch. Neither of them work. They even gave me the added bonus of corrupting my ROM and not allowing me to load it in VBA.

So my question is: Is there any way to make a patch with a 32MB ROM?

Without this, my project will have to go back to release v 0.1, and that's something that I don't want to do.

Thanks for your time.

OK I've asked this at a couple other places as well.

So far, I've been given suggestions to make two patches and split the data and to use a different patch format (.PPF, .UPF, etc.).

I've tried the .PPF format, but it hasn't worked for me. It causes my ROM to increase to just about 2GB (1.99GB) and it doesn't even apply my changes.

I'd appreciate your help very much.

Thanks in advance.