Kodewerx

Our culture has advanced beyond all that you could possibly comprehend with one hundred percent of your brain.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:15 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 1:31 pm 
Kommunist
Kommunist

Hey all. I'm looking into hacking the N64 (mainly for OoT, really, but who knows where I'll end up?) so I decided to try and make a button P3 Controller Activator code for the Ocarina of Time Debug ROM... but I'm getting a little confused. This is my first code ever that I'm going to make and while I really hate to sound like a newb, I'm gonna have to ask if you can bare with me on this!

So first of all I'm trying to find out the P3 Controller Activator. I'm using the Start button as my test value. It says in the tutorials that:

Quote:
Button activators are relatively simple to hack. To do so, setup for a 16-bit known value search. Hold a button, and search for its value. Then hold a different button and search for its value. Repeat until only a few results remain. Most of these are probably button activators, as the majority of games have more than one. Testing is just a matter of using it as a 'D1' code type with an existing code. Activators for P2-P4 on multi-player games will usually appear 0x6 or 0x8 after the one for P1.[/QUOTE]

So I loaded up Renegade and attached nemu 0.8 to it and searched for the value 10 (which is what they mean by search for 0x10, right?) as a 16-Bit Known Value. As it would do, it came up with a fuckload of addresses. So, with that search done, I used the A button (0x80) as my second test value. When I go to see the results of the comparison I get a run time error saying "Run-time error '62': Input past end of file" and then closes!

I know it said something about Activators for other multiplayer games will usually appear at 0x6 or 0x8, but I don't entirely understand what that means. Does that mean the A button on P3 would actually be 0x86 or 0x88?

Any help would be highly appreciative...