Kodewerx

Our culture has advanced beyond all that you could possibly comprehend with one hundred percent of your brain.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:28 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Discussion of illegal hacking/cracking is prohibited. (No virus/trojans/cracks/warez/etc allowed.)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 3:18 pm 
Kommunist
Kommunist

Title: Always one step ahead.
People seem to be able to make invincibility codes for most games, but the EnHacklopedia doesn't say how it's done yet.

Could anyone give me some kind of idea how it's done?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 4:06 pm 
Kommunist
Kommunist

An invincibility code, in most cases, is barely a step above an infinite money code. In other cases, it's just as easy as a money code. In rare cases, it's a total bitch.

Do it the same damn way you do an infinite money code, assuming you can see how much health you have left. (As a number, that is.)
If you can't see how much money you have, like, all you have is a health bar or something, then just do "decreased value" and "increased value" searches.
Really fucking easy.

You'll pick it up in about .02 seconds if you're not retarded.

Now go try dammit.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 4:09 pm 
Kommunist
Kommunist

I mean invincibility as in you don't get interrupted when you're attacked.

Infinite health is as easy as fuck, but I'm talking about attacks having no effect. No falling over, no having to restart your combo, etc..

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:56 pm 
Komrade
Komrade

Title: Mario Kart 64 Hacker
Some games, you can hack the hitstun timer. Infinite hitstun is effectively the same as invincibility. For other games you'll have to prevent the game from either detecting you got hit, or reacting to it. That is, disable hit detection against anything that would knock you about, or prevent the knocking-about routine from running.

Hacking hitstun is generally simple, it's just a countdown timer (and sometimes you will have to set a flag to turn it on, or just get hit to trigger it normally and let it run forever). The other methods would generally require backtracing from the health writes or similar to find where it detects you've been hit by something harmful. This can of course be tricky because you don't want to also prevent collisions with powerups and other nice things.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:40 pm 
Komrade
Komrade

Just a note, Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia seems to have 2 hitstun counters.

I made a code for one of them that sets the value to the maximum and keeps it there, and once you get hit, you stay invincible to the damage incurred by contacting enemies.

However, there's a separate hitstun counter for collision with traps and enemy attacks or projectiles.

The hitstun starts at a small value that is decreased quickly, so you have to alternate between searches for 0 (when you know you're able to take damage) and greater than 0 (as soon as you get hit) to safely locate the hitstun counters.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:01 pm 
Kommunist
Kommunist

Alright, thanks guys.

I'll see if I can figure it out.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:17 pm 
Kommunist
Kommunist

I believe I've now found the hitstun for my game of choice.

What exactly do I need to do with it now?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 8:55 pm 
Komrade
Komrade

Keep it locked at whatever value doesn't mean "none" (the value written when you get hit is a good bet), and you should be untouchable, though you might have to get hit once before it takes effect.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 11:46 pm 
Kommunist
Kommunist

The only effect I seem to be able to get with anything I try is having the game lock up. No$GBA doesn't close and say the ROM image crashed or the like, but I have to reset the game to do anything.

I've tried several addresses, and the only thing I can get is having the game freeze when a bullet makes contact with the player (sometimes it locks up when the enemy begins to fire) or a complete crash of the emulator.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:35 pm 
Komrade
Komrade

Are you sure it's a hitstun counter then? Does it only run when you have hitstun? Do you gain hitstun by setting it (not locking it) to some value? If it is, then find routines that deal with it, and make the game think it's always on or make it not count down.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 6:50 pm 
Kommunist
Kommunist

Is "hitstun" basically the character's reaction to an attack?

If so, I don't think I have the right address. The ones I'm able to find just change when a bullet is fired.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:19 am 
Komrade
Komrade

It's called hitstun because that's literally what it is - the stunned state a character enters when they are hit.

In fighting games, hitstun is a time frame where you are too stunned from an enemy attack to counter, and are able to be "combo'd". In Adventure games, you are usually given invulnerability in combination with a shorter period of time in which you can't attack when you enter hitstun, to give you a chance to think about how to escape and to move freely without being able to be attacked for a split second after that, to help you get out of tough spots.

Setting the hitstun to infinite in the latter will obviously give you an infinite amount of time to plan your escape and move freely. Such as standing right next to Dracula when he uses Giga Dark Megiddo to deal 9999 damage to you at the end of Order of Ecclesia.

Very fun.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 1:39 pm 
Kommunist
Kommunist

In my situation, hitstun does not allow you to move, but the game also does not have any type of combo attacks. All it does is interrupt whatever the player's current action is.

That said, would infinite hitstun still grant invincibility?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 7:17 pm 
Komrade
Komrade

Hitstun is actually necessary to prevent you from being hit by the same attack/enemy 60 times in one second. :P Whether it lets you move or not depends on the game. Mario flashes in hitstun, for example.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 12:14 am 
Kommunist
Kommunist

Title: Click Here <------
never knew it was called "hitrun" i was always called "invincibility codes", no i know

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 11:03 am 
Kommunist
Kommunist

Uh, "hitstun" is not a different name for invincibility...

Basically HH and Zeld told me that infinite hitstun is invincibility.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 6:10 pm 
Krew (Admin)
Krew (Admin)

Title: All in a day's work.
'Invulnerability' is a better description of what you're looking for. Apart from the temporary invulnerability granted by some games (which HH and Zeld have been discussing), you could also do the hack similar to the methods for Walk Through Walls codes; they both deal with fooling the game's collision detection.

Feed me a stray cat.