Kodewerx

Our culture has advanced beyond all that you could possibly comprehend with one hundred percent of your brain.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:30 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:18 pm 
Kommunist
Kommunist

Title: Title
Okay, I've had the fat DS (1st Gen) since its came out (Fuck the Lite and DSi), in that time, my DS has survived six drops onto concrete <3ft, and two drops onto a wooden floor <3ft. But, at one time, the little part the holds the two main DS parts together, snapped a bit, and I had to get a new shell. So I go to PowerGamingparts.com (NEVER buy from them, I'll mention why later) and order a new shell + all new buttons. Now, the only reason why I still play my DS, is because I have a flashcart (acekard 2.1). My DS shell was replaced over a year ago by my dad, in that time, I'm not so clumsy anymore and I haven't dropped it once (:D). But when I was at my friends house, I dropped my DS >2ft or so, onto a wooden floor, and what do you know, the same part snapped yet again! If anything, I think that PGP has cheap DS shells that can be broken easily.
----------------------------------------------
MAIN QUESTION
(Considering most of you skipped the story)
Where do you buy your shells/parts at?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 3:29 pm 
Kommunist
Kommunist

Ooh, I've replaced my first generation DS due to a similar problem quite a long time ago and sold it for a very nice price. I've had my part replaced from someone from craigslist. It's funny because the first generation DS is actually pretty fucking strong (you could put it in a god damn purse or a man-purse at that and swing it like David and Goliath to fight off rune's Jewish manifestation of children).

I was lucky I didn't have any problems afterwards, not to mention it was pretty cheap, but who am I to complain? Cragislist is simply a black market, a cheap one at that - for christ's sake, they do subtle prostitution.

Anyways, that's really unfortunate that you went to a wholesale parts company and still had issues.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 3:39 pm 
Kommunist
Kommunist

Title: Title
Well, it's not that, my DS was fucking strong the first shell it had on it, it broke by me dropping it on carpet. I guess it took to much damage from the concrete and floors >.< It's just the fact that the case snaps in half when I drop it less than two feet and it breaks. I'll try Craigslist, thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 4:30 pm 
Krew (Admin)
Krew (Admin)

Title: All in a day's work.
You mean it broke at the hinge? It's pretty common for the DSLite to break on the outside of the hinge, near the shoulder buttons, but I've never had that problem with mine. And my original DS has amazingly survived several internal modifications. I've never had a problem dropping any of them (nor my three DSis).

I guess it all depends on how often the device is used, though. For example, my second iPhone (a 3GS) was getting dropped all the time. Until the final drop which simply shattered the touchscreen into tiny shards of glass. I don't use any DS much, but I use my iPhone all the damn time. Go figure.

Feed me a stray cat.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:31 am 
Kommunist
Kommunist

I've crashed the motherboard on my DS ("1st gen"). I had to pay £50 for a new one. I've also dropped my GBA about 1.5m and "damaged" the screen (there we're two black marks on it) thus causing me to get a new one.

Parasyte wrote:
but I use my iPhone all the damn time.

I use my iPod touch most of the time too.