Kodewerx

Our culture has advanced beyond all that you could possibly comprehend with one hundred percent of your brain.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:29 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: WoW Glider violates DMCA
PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:21 pm 
Krew (Admin)
Krew (Admin)

Title: All in a day's work.
This sucks. The "WoW Glider" was found to [still] violate the DMCA. Glider is a "bot" application that can literally play World of Warcraft for you. The idea is to level your character while you're away from the computer; Glider takes your place at the controls by sending keyboard and mouse events to WoW, simulating a player.

Glider is a rather unimpressive kind of cheating tool. And, well, that's all it is. It's for cheating. In a video game. Online.

Well, not quite, as it turns out! The U.S. Appeals Court of the Ninth Circuit says Glider violates the DMCA, by "circumventing copy protection" ... I don't understand how this judgement was even ruled. The circumvented technology in question (Blizzard's "Warden" anti-cheat/anti-bot software) does not do any kind of copy protection whatsoever. What we have here is a case where it has now been justified in a court of law that cheating in your video games is illegal. What we have here is failure to communicate.

Let me repeat that, just to be perfectly clear: Distributing a program that bypasses anti-cheat measures and allows players to cheat in a video game is a violation of the DMCA.

Feed me a stray cat.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:24 pm 
Komrade
Komrade

That is some of the most bullshit.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:55 am 
Kommunist
Kommunist

Yeah. Almost exact same thing is currently going on with Starcraft 2. Some people I know over in a different forum created and distributed some hacking tools which Blizzard found out, suing those responsible for modding the ability to play the game differently. I doubt the suit will have any profound results at all, if any. There's been like a massive wave of bans for the last month or so in Starcraft 2 and people getting pissed off because they thought they had been scammed with hacks that caused the sudden bans on their accounts and purchased cd-key. Not really the hackers fault if they are the ones who downloaded and used the tools themselves.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 11:54 am 
Kommunist
Kommunist

Title: Don't read this.
Bubba wrote:
What are you in jail for?

Poor sap wrote:
Cheating in World of Warcraft.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:58 pm 
Kommunist
Kommunist

Title: I masturbate turtles
They don't like EVE Online mining bots either.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 1:20 pm 
Krew (Admin)
Krew (Admin)

Dear Blizzard employees,

It has come to my attention that some of you have been reading this thread, and taken action against me by claiming that my battle.net account has been compromised. The result is, of course, a "permanent ban". Awesome customer service, there.

I do not play your game as often as you would like, although I do pay you for it, anyway! The logical thing to do in this case is to just let it go. I continue to not play, you stop receiving my money, we all win.

However, you've already secured my investment in your product! Lucky you. So I went through the account recovery process. Chose a new password. Got another email saying my email account is compromised. What? My email account is not compromised. You're just asinine.

Per further instructions, I've installed and configured the mobile authenticator. This is some hocus pocus shit that involves public key encryption and password rotation. Sure, it's a little more secure since it limits the time allowance for third parties to brute force an account's password. Assuming that Blizzard takes precautions against brute forcing anyway, that reveals its true purpose: the rotating password means that phished/keylogged passwords cannot be reused after ~15 seconds.

What? There are no key loggers running on my Mac! I haven't typed the account info for my account since I gave you my credit card info in January. Seems if it was a phishing site, they would have swiped my federally recognized currency (aka "real" money) instead of my WoW gold?

So the authenticator is installed and setup. And I continue following the instructions (authenticator is like step 2) and step 4 tells me to go through the account recovery process *again* so that I can change my password *again*... :\

So I change my password a second time, and I finally get an email saying the restrictions have been lifted. Hooray, I'm able to log into my WoW account finally ... with the added step of starting up the authenticator on my phone every time. Fuck it, whatever. All of my virtual shit is still right where I left it. What the fuck is the big deal? My account wasn't even compromised, and you banned me anyway?

What I have learned from this experience:

If you talk about WoW Glider in public, you will be banned.

On that note, Warden is trivial to bypass! And you are fools for relying your whole business model on subscriptions. (It didn't work for Cable TV. It will not work for you.) You, Blizzard, created the WoW black market that you hate so much. Now you're just going the wrong way about correcting it. It is all your fault, and I am being victimized. Wah wah wah...

Love,
Parasyte

Feed me a stray cat.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:52 pm 
Komrade
Komrade

Title: Derp
I love the fact you added "Wah wah wah..." for dramatic effect.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:03 pm 
Komrade
Komrade

I love the fact that I didn't buy a piece of shit PS 3 or World of Warcraft.

Fuck off and start making real gaming systems/games like Nintendo used to 10 years ago.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 4:13 pm 
Kommunist
Kommunist

Title: I masturbate turtles
Hextator wrote:
I love the fact that I didn't buy a piece of shit PS 3 or World of Warcraft.

Fuck off and start making real gaming systems/games like Nintendo used to 10 years ago.

What the fuck are you even trying to say?

Para, so they unbanned you and everything now? I've been tempted to play it out of sheer boredom.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:44 pm 
Krew (Admin)
Krew (Admin)

Yes, it's all back to normal, now. I still don't know what the fuck they were thinking.

Feed me a stray cat.