Kodewerx

Our culture has advanced beyond all that you could possibly comprehend with one hundred percent of your brain.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:02 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:57 pm 
Kommunist
Kommunist

I know how to change the quantity of the item, but how would I get the item if I didn't already have it? For example in Castlevainia, I wouldn't know how to make a code for items I don't already have. I just want to start off with something basic, rather than a game with an inventory limit of, say, 50.

Could someone tell me how I would find the address?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:44 am 
Kommunist
Kommunist

Title: Mr. Mime
zackfiles0 wrote:
I know how to change the quantity of the item, but how would I get the item if I didn't already have it? For example in Castlevainia, I wouldn't know how to make a code for items I don't already have. I just want to start off with something basic, rather than a game with an inventory limit of, say, 50.

Could someone tell me how I would find the address?

unlock an item, find the address, unlock another item, find the address, repeat.

NDS Hacker

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:09 pm 
Kommunist
Kommunist

Oh, well, I knew that much...

I was just wondering how everyone else did it. Is there a way to just instantly find all the addresses?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:34 am 
Krew (Admin)
Krew (Admin)

Title: All in a day's work.
Short answer: No.
Long Answer: Yes.

If you find one address which puts an item in your inventory, you might have just found the variable that has the power to put all items in your inventory. It depends on how the inventory system was designed, of course:

* A game like Resident Evil usually allocates a number of available "slots" where your items can be stored, and their quantities updated. This type of game, you have one variable per slot, and the value used determines what item is placed in that slot. This kind of system has the variable for all available slots very closely packed into memory.

* Some games use a "bit array" to give your character items. In this system, every bit in a variable is hard-coded to indicate if you have an item (basically a big series of on/off switches). You can find many examples of this type of code from the N64 and PSX era. The tell-tale sign is when the values are all powers of two, and "have all items" is a bit-wise OR of all mentioned bits (or the shortcut: it's given with all bits turned on: 0xFFFF ...)

* Other games use a byte or word array, similar to the bit array mentioned above, but much less memory efficient: Each byte/word in a series of memory is used as an on/off switch. Some examples of this system is used in the Turok games and GoldenEye 007 for N64.

There are others, certainly, but these are fairly common. The best advice I can give is using an "unknown value"-type search, if you don't know exactly what value you are looking for! (It's also good to use the unknown value searches if the known value searches are not finding anything.) I used unknown value searches so often, that it was usually faster for me to find what I wanted with that than it was to enter an exact number at each iteration.

Feed me a stray cat.