Kodewerx

Our culture has advanced beyond all that you could possibly comprehend with one hundred percent of your brain.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:56 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 12:09 am 
Komrade
Komrade

Title: Mario Kart 64 Hacker
So I want to have a program launch an N64 emulator in fullscreen mode, and be able to pause the game and pull up a fullscreen menu. Seems easy enough? Fuck no.

PJ64: I have to use a MASSIVE FUCKING HACK to even run it in fullscreen mode because there's no option to do this automatically. When the menu pops up, PJ64 fucking minimizes itself for some reason. After being restored it doesn't display anything until fullscreen is disabled and enabled again. Naturally, that means I have to automatically find the minimized window (which is that much more fun for the fact that it has a second hidden window with the same goddamn title and class), restore it, and press Escape twice to get it fucking working again. But wait, there's more! Sometimes, instead of minimizing itself, it just goes into an always-on-top mode and fucking locks up solid, so you can't do shit except kill it from a console on the other monitor.

Mupen64 for once actually manages to fail even harder. It does that same auto-minimize shit, except upon restoring it, it fucking locks up. Again, it doesn't minimize every time. Sometimes it goes always-on-top and won't respond to any input.

Are there any emulators that don't do this shit, or am I going to have to fucking hack one myself?

[edit] Renamed. See below.

Last edited by HyperHacker on Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 8:51 am 
Komrade
Komrade

Title: Derp
PJ64... what version?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 12:04 pm 
Komrade
Komrade

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:02 pm 
Komrade
Komrade

Looks like this is actually the fault of the video plugin. Different ones do different things. Direct64 v0.5.03.25 locks it up as I described Mupen64 doing. Jabo 3D 1.6 stops displaying anything until switched back out of fullscreen mode (which is a massive PITA and it doesn't look like Mupen64 has a convenient hotkey for this). glN64 v0.4.1 doesn't minimize (yay!) but fucks up translucent windows (boo!) and prompts me to select a microcode every time I start a game (unacceptable for what I'm doing). Glide64 v0.8 doesn't support my native resolution, and attempts to change the screen resolution (FAIL!) which breaks the fuck out of everything. z64gl doesn't even run nor have a config dialog, and those are all the video plugins I have. Anyone know any others?

[edit] Found some more:
RCP Direct3D v0.6: Manual microcode selection? WTF?
Rice's Video 6.0.0 (DirectX): Fucks up translucent windows, doesn't respond to input.
Rice's Video 6.0.0 (OpenGL): Fucks up translucent windows, seems to be always-on-top which I can probably hack around. This one could work.
TR64 OpenGL v0.8.8: Again with the manual microcode selection.
1964 OpenGL 3.0.0: Doesn't run.

Looks like I'll be trying to deal with Rice's Video in OpenGL mode unless anyone has a better idea.

[edit again] Also, more failure: Mupen64 doesn't accept filenames on the command line? I didn't RTFM? The fuck?

[hey another edit] Scratch that, Rice's Video is slow as fuck and broken. :(

Of course I could almost hack around Jabo3D's stupid, except for when it just fucking crashes entirely.