Kodewerx

Our culture has advanced beyond all that you could possibly comprehend with one hundred percent of your brain.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:11 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 8:06 pm 
Simply: How?

I returned Vista after I installed it because of a mix up at Best Buy all those months ago, so I got a sealed copy. I sold that for $200, in effect getting me Vista for $50. Now, I want to do a System Restore from when I installed Vista, but I have no clue how to do it. I tried Dell's Ctrl + F11 at start, and it does nothing. F2 or F12 only brings me to the Settings for my computer, such as Overclocking, changing Led's, BIOS settings, etc. But no Restart of the OS.

If anyone knows how, much appreciated.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 8:13 pm 
Kommunist
Kommunist

If it helps or not, when I got my laptop, (Compaq Presario C500, 502 RAM, Vista Home Basic) I used a feature called "Backup and Restore Center." It will ask you to insert a large memory disc, and begin to backup its factory settings. (Resetting it when you inserted the disc?) You can only do this once.

Sorry if this doesn't help, I am not too certain what you are trying to do. Or how "Restoring your factory settings" could help you.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 8:24 pm 
I checked that out again just now, and the furthest I can go back is 9/09/07, when I installed Battlefield 2142. I want to bring Vista back to around March or whenever I got it, when I didnt screw around with the program files and mess everything up. There is no other way?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 3:42 am 
Kommunist
Kommunist

No, there are two programs like that. One is a file backup (Internal) and the other is named "Backup and Restore Center" and it stores your FACTORY settings on a disc.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 1:47 pm 
Komrade
Komrade

Title: Derp
I don't have Vista, but my guess would be:
Start-> Accessories-> System Tools-> System Restore

That's how it is on XP.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 3:03 pm 
Kommunist
Kommunist

Title: I'm back.
I had to do this a while ago, on my HP Pavilion a520n. There was no way I could do system recovery of any kind, so I had to order the discs from HP myself. I then had to enter the discs one-by-one and it restored everything back to factory settings. There might be a recovery partition that you can burn a disc to store all of those files onto. (It's better to use a DVD rather than 6-7 CD's).

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 11:04 am 
I got a stroke of luck finally. I didnt have to reset anything, I just installed Home Premium which I got for free for no purpose. But again, Vista is screwed as well. Windows Media Player is laggy loading files to play, and near the end it gets choppy. Time for a system restore... Again >.>

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 6:45 pm 
Komrade
Komrade

Title: Mario Kart 64 Hacker
Paradox wrote:
Vista is screwed
Yep. Try XP.