Kodewerx

Our culture has advanced beyond all that you could possibly comprehend with one hundred percent of your brain.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:02 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Laptop problem
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 8:53 am 
Kommunist
Kommunist

My laptop currently isn't working.

Last night I left my laptop on and went to the bathroom and when I came back, all my programs were shutting down. Then my laptop started to shut down, and it said "Saving Changes" as it came to the shutting off screen. So I turned my laptop off by pressing and holding the power button. So I thought it would be back to normal when I just turn it back on. I was wrong. When I turned the laptop back on, it started to boot up regularly, then after the boot-up screen, it just went to a black/dark blue screen and doesn't do anything else. I can shut it off, but the same thing happens when I boot it up again.

Anyone know the reason/problem? I would not be asking if I didn't have to go to college in two days. I need my laptop for college.

Post subject: Re: Laptop problem
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 12:12 pm 
Kommunist
Kommunist

Hmmm. I'm not too computer-smart, but try holding down F8 while starting up. (Safe-Mode Boot) Then run a (What OS do you have?) Windows System Check for viruses.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 4:02 pm 
Komrade
Komrade

Title: Mr. Bitches
Kinda hard to do that if your computer doesn't boot. :?

jleemero wrote:
Being required to learn Java for a Comp Sci MAJOR is like being required to shit on a lawnmower to be an astronaut.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 6:14 pm 
Kommunist
Kommunist

Quote:
...When I turned the laptop back on, it started to boot up regularly, then after the boot-up screen, it just went to a black/dark blue screen and doesn't do anything else. I can shut it off, but the same thing happens when I boot it up again...

He/she said it boots. But it doesn't boot up normally. If it is a Windows error, (Programs, virus, etc) Try Safe-Mode. You don't know 'til you try...;)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 8:31 pm 
Kommunist
Kommunist

Title: Silent Knuckler
If you can run Windows in safe mode, what i would do is put an antivirus program (I use AVG Antivirus, its free) on a flash drive, and access the drive and run a virus check. But if you can't run windows in safe mode, i dont know what to tell you.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 9:47 pm 
Kommunist
Kommunist

What? The only thing I know for sure, is if you are in Safe-Mode, you can do anything (If you have Windows XP) but in Vista, you can't install programs.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 6:51 am 
Komrade
Komrade

Title: Mr. Bitches
xdite396rw wrote:
Quote:
...When I turned the laptop back on, it started to boot up regularly, then after the boot-up screen, it just went to a black/dark blue screen and doesn't do anything else. I can shut it off, but the same thing happens when I boot it up again...

He/she said it boots. But it doesn't boot up normally. If it is a Windows error, (Programs, virus, etc) Try Safe-Mode. You don't know 'til you try...;)

You seemed to miss the fucking next half of the sentence.

It's too late now anyway...

I'd recommend using a LiveCD and backing up your files, then formating the hard drive.

jleemero wrote:
Being required to learn Java for a Comp Sci MAJOR is like being required to shit on a lawnmower to be an astronaut.