Kodewerx

Our culture has advanced beyond all that you could possibly comprehend with one hundred percent of your brain.
It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 5:11 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Vista or Virus
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 12:32 pm 
Komrade
Komrade

Title: Mario Kart 64 Hacker
I wish I was rich. :(

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 3:17 am 
Come to think of it...I started off with like 97% of my 320GB hard drive free. Then it went to 94...and so on, until about 84%. Then, once that low, it went back to 95%, next day 93%, next day 94% where it has been for a month or so now. The weirdest part is I have bene adding stuff, and removing nothing.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 9:46 pm 
Komrade
Komrade

Something might be leaking memory, causing the pagefile to bloat.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 4:17 am 
Kommunist
Kommunist

some viruses can be undetected by norton and macfee i would recomend getting aol spyware also i have vista same thing happened just had 2 delete 1 or 2 files

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 11:31 am 
Komrade
Komrade

Woah woah woah.
1) That's a big bump.
2) Norton sucks.
3) McAfee sucks.
4) AOL sucks.

For antivirus, get AVG. For anti-spyware, get Ad-aware and/or Spybot Search & Destroy. (May as well have both, really.) For Internet, get anything except AOL.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 11:33 pm 
Kommunist
Kommunist

aol is like the best even detected some viruses i made

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 11:40 pm 
Komrade
Komrade

LMAO.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 8:14 am 
Komrade
Komrade

Title: Mr. Bitches
Care to back up your thesis that AOL is the best?

jleemero wrote:
Being required to learn Java for a Comp Sci MAJOR is like being required to shit on a lawnmower to be an astronaut.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 2:42 am 
Kommunist
Kommunist

I have been using Windows XP for quite some time now. No virus scanners, and I haven't had a single virus in ages. All I have is Spybot Search And Destroy, and all it has found are some minor tracking cookies. If people would just have the sense to stop running every EXE they find and not installing every toolbar on the planet because they add new smilies, there wouldn't be any need for virus scanners at all. Also, not running XP with an administrator account keeps a lot of viruses out.

Also, because Windows is the most popular OS out there, it is only logical that there are a lot of viruses for it. I haven't worked with Vista yet, so I don't know if it really is as bad as they say it is. All I want to say is that every OS has its flaws. Not just Windows. Even Linux and Mac OS X have them.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 7:27 am 
Komrade
Komrade

Common sense is the best defence (Canadian spelling go!), yes, but an antivirus is good to have in case something dumb happens; I.E. you get tricked, someone else uses your computer, or another hole is found that lets viruses install themselves without your interaction ala Blaster. Think of it as insurance. Just like you install smoke detectors even though you're not dumb enough to play with matches.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:58 pm 
Kommunist
Kommunist

Title: Silent Knuckler
@Hyperhacker

Completely agree with you about Antivirus and antispyware. AVG is definitely the way to go, my computer has not had a single problem with it running. I have Ad-aware and Spybot S&D, but I also have Windows Defender because it claims to check for spyware in realtime. Half you guys out there would say windows defender sucks cuz it was made by microsoft and they're crap, but oh well. I'm a security freak, and it doesn't slow down my system at all, so im using it.

@Zango

No offence, but unless you have proof to back up what you're saying, AOL is in no way the best. I know that you are entitled to your own opinion, so why do you think that it is "the best"?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:20 pm 
Komrade
Komrade

+++NdsH4ck3r wrote:
Half you guys out there would say windows defender sucks cuz it was made by microsoft and they're crap, but oh well.
Not everything MS makes is crap. Xbox 360 is pretty good. However, it's not like they don't deserve the reputation. >_>

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 8:31 pm 
Komrade
Komrade

King Rhyono wrote:
Recently, my computer will randomly freeze every few days. The computer says it might be a problem with disk consistancy. Is this a virus or is it just Vista sucking? I ran Norton full scan, and it found no viruses. I'd prefer someone who knew something to respond, rather than n00bs who just like to say they don't like Vista, but don't actually know why they don't like it because they are just coping what smart people say. And before anyone spams me about being dumb enough to get vista, I got this $1200 computer/monitor free.

When I bought my lap top, the customer service dude at the Best Buy said that Vista and Norton do not get along.

Thus, your problem is likely that you're using Norton.

I assume you know this by now @_@

IAMASOMBODY wrote:
Sorry for bumping up this thread, but I thought it would be more customary to reuse this topic then recreating a topic with pretty much the same title. I am trying out Vista x64 and surprisingly it have all the drivers for my machine. I have been monitoring the disk space counts, and vista is eating up disk space (1GB per hour). That is friggen' lot of disk space. It does not matter weather or not if I disabled shadow copy and system restore, it still consumes 1GB per hour. I am leaning towards dumping the Vista and go back to XP. Is this disk consumption normal for Vista users? Also this is a fresh install of Vista, no internet connection or anything like that.

I would like to know how you disabled it, because my system restore points are eating the same amount of space at the same rate as it is for you, but I can simply manually clear all but the last restore point to get back lost space.

Perhaps you could do the same; maybe the disable feature doesn't actually disable due to a programming failure?