Kodewerx

Our culture has advanced beyond all that you could possibly comprehend with one hundred percent of your brain.
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:23 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:25 am 
Krew (Admin)
Krew (Admin)

Title: All in a day's work.
Another indie game dev compo?! I'm IN!! Liberated Pixel Cup -- there are tons of free art assets (and even some sound effects & music!) from the art compo held last month. This month is the programming compo, which I will be participating in.

And this time I'm fucking serious. I'm even blogging about it daily.

Current snapshot (updated daily): http://parasyte.kodewerx.org/projects/lpcgame/

P.S. You should join too. Here's some inspiration: http://indiegamethemovie.com/ (Buy this movie!)

Feed me a stray cat.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:58 am 
Kommunist
Kommunist

I saw you tweet about this, good luck!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:02 am 
Kommunist
Kommunist

That looks interesting.

GameHacking.org

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:30 pm 
Krew (Admin)
Krew (Admin)

Here's a git repo for my entry: https://bitbucket.org/parasyte/lpcgame

Not much to see just yet. You can walk around a little island with proper layering but no collision detection. That's it! Will have more for the blog tonight.

20 days to go...

Feed me a stray cat.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:44 pm 
Krew (Admin)
Krew (Admin)

Title: The Mad Hacker
Story of you, a zombie, wreaking havoc through a huge bio lab trying to find jars of embalming fluid to keep from decaying into nothing.

Bosses can be events where you get trapped in a room can be like waves of scientists coming in to try and stop you. As you complete the waves, you gain strips of cloth/bandages and need fluid less often to stay alive + gain skills. Akin to suite power-ups like in Mega Man X but consequences of death if you don't.

When you are fully bandaged, you no longer need embalming fluid. (and you win? or you escape the lab and retire to a pyramid in Egypt?)

Call it Zommy.

(and maybe it starts out with you on a medical table and embalming fluid is accidentally spilled on you)

ps: Indie Game the Movie is fantastic!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:10 pm 
Krew (Admin)
Krew (Admin)

Are you hosting the game anywhere that I can play it without downloading the files etc etc?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:39 pm 
Krew (Admin)
Krew (Admin)

Not yet. (Wouldn't be interesting at this point, beyond seeing progression each day.) I will probably clone the repo on my OpenBSD server and do a manual pull each night before the blog post.

Edit: That was just too easy! Here 'tis from when I stopped working on it last night: http://parasyte.kodewerx.org/projects/lpcgame/

Feed me a stray cat.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:02 am 
Krew (Admin)
Krew (Admin)

Hooray! Took 5 days, but I've got a real physics engine integrated with the game engine. And it is good.

Feed me a stray cat.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:07 pm 
Krew (Admin)
Krew (Admin)

What physics engine did you go with?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:48 pm 
Krew (Admin)
Krew (Admin)

Chipmunk. It's quite alright. I really wish it had a global friction that I could set. Because my bodies are all "floating" (no gravity to pull them to the bottom of the screen) there's no way to slow them down once they start moving. Well ... there is, but it's a ridiculous hack. I set the damping value to an extremely small number, and it quickly reduces velocities to zero without continuous force to propel the bodies. The problem is that it takes an equally ridiculous amount of force to move the bodies when the damping is set so low. So when two shapes collide at what appears to be a very low velocity, the force of the impact is very high (because of the high forces required to move the bodies) causing the other body to fly off at an INCREDIBLE rate. So far that the high damping won't even slow them down before they pass through every other shape in the space, and disappear from sight.

The only fix for not rocketing shapes away when they are touched is to give one body infinite mass. That means it can never move, solving the problem. But it creates a new problem: those bodies can NEVER move! Say goodbye to AI!

So much for using damping the wrong way, I guess. I'll have to shoehorn a different solution to the missing-global friction problem. Probably setting counter forces or directly reducing the velocities every frame. Either way, it is going to be a lot of work to find the sweet spot.

Yeah, other than that, Chipmunk is awesome! I get very fast (and accurate) collision detection against arbitrary shapes (with arbitrary rotations), and also accurate reaction forces. It will seriously kick ass when I go to implement particle effects for collectible items.

Oh, there is one other peculiarity that I found today... When two shapes share an edge, Chipmunk freaks out and fills the console log so fast, it makes my Chrome debugger unresponsive. And unfortunately, that's very easy to do by accident, using Snap-To-Grid when placing objects. Easy to workaround , though; just move the shapes a bit.

If you're not following my blog, you probably should be. ;) I got a hell of a lot done in the last two days. That's because I have been awake for 34 hours, with all but maybe 4(?) spent working on the game. I'll try to get to sleep around 1 or 2 am tomorrow morning (that sounds so odd). Until then, I'll be working on today's snapshot. Well, I told you I was fucking serious.

Feed me a stray cat.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:23 pm 
Krew (Admin)
Krew (Admin)

Awesome.

And I've been reading the blog every day. I'd be playing the demo each time too if there was a link for it in every post or in the nav on the right. :P

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 2:20 pm 
Krew (Admin)
Krew (Admin)

That thought occurred to me once, and then it got lost amongst other thoughts. I'll have to fix that, it is pretty important!

Feed me a stray cat.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:09 am 
Krew (Admin)
Krew (Admin)

State of the game

Feed me a stray cat.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:45 am 
Krew (Admin)
Krew (Admin)

The contest ended today. Here is the final revision submitted as my official entry to the Liberated Pixel Cup: http://parasyte.kodewerx.org/projects/lpcgame/

Sources are in the usual place! Have fun.

Feed me a stray cat.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:05 am 
Krew (Admin)
Krew (Admin)

It was quite exciting to read your blog as you went through it man. Love the name, love the music, love the trees, and time to give it a go before I pass out after being awake 1/3 the time you have before the submission.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 4:33 pm 
Krew (Admin)
Krew (Admin)

I created a profile for the game on indiedb, hoping it will help others find it. Feel free to provide reviews, ratings, comments, criticism, whatever.

Feed me a stray cat.