Kodewerx

Our culture has advanced beyond all that you could possibly comprehend with one hundred percent of your brain.
It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 4:28 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Post subject: [N64] Quest 64 [U] [GS]
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 10:08 am 
Kommunist
Kommunist

[N64] Quest 64 [USA][GS]

I think it'd be possible to create a sort of real-time battle with this game by using a few codes to allow you to always be able to move and attack during the turn-based battles and have enemies continuously move and attack by having an activator where one enemy ending its turn triggers the start of the next enemy's turn.

If you can find those codes, it might also need an additional code or two to keep the enemy turns from coming to a stop by things like attacking an enemy when it's attacking, which I've run into some trouble with when trying to make this pseudo real-time battles code myself.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 3:32 pm 
Kommunist
Kommunist

Ok, quick question: Is anyone working on this code?

If it seems too hard/impossible, I also wanted a faster running speed for the main character, if that sounds more possible to hack.

This isn't the hardest N64 game to hack by far, go check my Quest 64 code faq at gamefaqs for proof of that, so I just assume a code like the above isn't all that impossible with a game that's so easy to find codes for.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 10:54 am 
Kommunist
Kommunist

Title: Crazy Snake
Speed mods are a bitch, especially without a moon jump or anything to work with. If you can find the X/Z speed modifier for P1, it'd be easy enough to trace what sets it for a proper modifier. I messed with it a little, but I'm not seeing anything useful.

<ThePhantom> What, would you prefer I keep track of it with fucking binary shifting, like you probably did? Hell no.
<ThePhantom> A hedgehog's asshole could understand my code, N-O-B-O-D-Y B-U-T Y-O-U C-A-N U-N-D-E-R-S-T-A-N-D Y-O-U-R-S
<Parasyte> Nobody has to understand it
<Parasyte> Plus, bitwise shifting owns
<Parasyte> A lot
<ThePhantom> Nobody has to understand it?
<Parasyte> Correct...
<ThePhantom> Write code like it's for your job, ass. :P
<Parasyte> No way.
<ThePhantom> Either provide fucking documentation or don't write it like a deranged circus chimp on crack.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 11:11 am 
Komrade
Komrade

For Jet Force Gemini, I multiplied the speed vectors by 5 right before the game added them to my X and Y position. For some reason the game seemed to be storing the speed vectors afterward, and not just the X, Y, Z positions, so the multiplication became exponential and required an activators in order to better control it. :P

Quest 64 would probably be nicer about that. I myself liked Quest 64 even though I always see bad reviews for it. I noticed that you can move to dodge enemy attacks in some cases (given high enough agility and room to avoid the attack to begin with), so I can see where your idea for a RTB system would fit. I don't like turned based things nearly as much, either, so I'd like to work on this hack if I find time.

You know what would be really nice is if enemies were spawned all over the map, and those pesky battle ring barriers were eliminated. And of course, some way to use doors "during battle" (since you would always be in battle as a result of the codes) would be nice, too. Make it like Ocarina of Time...free roaming RTB system with more magic and less melee. :P

That might be a bit overboard to be planning so soon, though. Coming up with impossible code ideas is half the fun D:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 4:32 pm 
Kommunist
Kommunist

Oh, this game has lots of potential when codes are added, go check my code faq at gamefaqs.
I personally like to set defense at zero for the whole game, use an auto full-heal after battles code, and give Brian some spell modifications and animation modifications, like making him dance after battles or use a more 'vigorous' staff attack, and replace certain spells he uses with boss spells, as long as it doesn't imbalance the game, and even alter some enemy spells.
My faq at gamefaqs has several boss modification codes that changes their stats and gives them stronger spells that can do hundreds of damage, paralyze, and even plow right through magic barriers, destroying it and damaging Brian. Nasty stuff, go try some of them, all in the faq.

I made all that, and I don't know anything about hacking codes beyond how to generally isolate variables with different-to-last and equal-to-last searches, so I can only imagine what one of these real hackers here could find for this game.

Making those battle rings go away is one of the problems of making a pseudo real-time battle system, but I think I've atleast solved the problem of enemies stopping when hit:
Just use this with an activator or something that occurs when they stop doing things, and the current enemy will start a new turn again: 8108c592 0007

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 3:37 pm 
Komrade
Komrade

Ooh, that all sounds great. I didn't realize Quest enjoyed being hacked so much (unlike, say, Goldeneye :P).

Just a note...

Nje789 wrote:
I made all that, and I don't know anything about hacking codes beyond how to generally isolate variables with different-to-last and equal-to-last searches, so I can only imagine what one of these real hackers here could find for this game.

I spend about as much, or more time on adding programming to games, instead of just changing things that are already there. But yeah, finding things might be easier for..."real hackers"..., which certainly helps with the "adding to the game" thing I like doing. An RTB Quest 64 would be lovely...

Honestly? The only RTB spell casting game I've played that DIDN'T limit your field of movement to a single battle zone during fighting was Phantasy Star Online. Since the point of that game is much more broad, it just isn't the same.

Edit: I read your guide. Aside from misspelling "weird" and "strategies" quite a bit, it was nice. Reminds me of when I was hacking the Megaman Zero games for GBA and was using activators all over the place to make Zero reset his animation in order to attack faster. It gets to where your use of the code types is more like programming than it is simple code making, which is why I got bored of it and moved on to real programming. :P

Your "heal after battles" code would be greatly improved by a simple ASM hack. ASM codes are super easy on the N64, so that only helps.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 8:30 pm 
Kommunist
Kommunist

Yeah, I wanted a better auto-heal code, but like I said- I don't have a clue when it comes to 'real' hacking.

If you think there's a document I could actually understand and benefit from with my very limited knowledge, I'd take a look to see what I can do with it.

One thing I noticed with Quest was the way certain codes worked, like switching enemy graphics and enemy attacks/stats- these all use 8-bit 'group' values right before the 16-bit specific enemy value addresses. The enemies you find in one area are all grouped together, meaning since were hares are found in holy plains and west carmagh, all enemies from both these areas share the same group, and bosses all share the same boss group, which lets you switch their spells and stats, but not with other groups.

Make any boss have Beigis's stats and spells:

d007c9b9 003a- when the enemy group's the boss group,
8107c9ba ao70- the stats and spells are Beigis's

Also, I found an interesting spell modifier code that changes the element, damage, range, and status effects, as well as some graphic effects that let you do weird things-

Alter all cyclone spells to fire element-powered 'Hurricane' spell:

d1086f46 153c- when cyclone's cast, either by Brian or enemies,
81086f46 1a48- damage, range, and some effects change to Mammon's light spell

This is some of the stuff I didn't include in the guide because I didn't find it until afterwards, and no one showed enough interest to warrant updating the guide.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 10:15 am 
Kommunist
Kommunist

Brian's "Snakerunning" code: 8007BAE5 00FF

-to use, do half-circle motion to start super fast running, and you can keep doing it to chain this for long-range movement.

Normal straight movement is not affected by this code, you have do a super cool technique to use it!

This is quite good for getting around faster, which is something that's been bothering me with this game for a good while.

edit: actually, it can be a bit annoying when it activates from any circling motion, but it's a god send for getting around long area faster outside just warping Brian by going in mem. editor to change his X/Y position variables(8007bACC for E-W, and 7bAd0 for N/S), something an asm hack could make a real fast run code, especially used with Brian's "direction ran" variable, 8007bA28 (it's 32-bit too, like position variable sets, so it could be tricky, but variable 29 might be easier to work with)

..I don't have the physical ability to do ASM hacks, though, so could someone else use the provided variables to make a faster running code?

edit2: ok, I got a little carried away here, but for a more functional speed code that doesn't cause as many probs, just use this with an activator, like:
d0092874 0040
8107BAE5 FFFF
this probably works even better than the other one, and you hold B when you want to do a half circle fast run.

edit3: For some real fast running, hold B and run towards the screen- you'll start to "charge", spinning the screen around faster and faster- just hold stick towards a direction when you've reached desired speed, and you can run ultra fast.

-After just one normal half circle while holding B, you can still run straight, and you'll keep running fast.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 12:01 pm 
Komrade
Komrade

Title: Mario Kart 64 Hacker
Nje789 wrote:
I don't have the physical ability to do ASM hacks
You mean you can't type? How did you post then? :P

Now that you have his coords, a speed mod wouldn't be too difficult. His speed should be right nearby, or you can look for writes to the coords and find it that way. Then just find what code sets the speed, and tweak as desired. If you're lucky you can also find a "forward speed" variable (as opposed to X, Y and Z axis speeds) and just set it to some huge number.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:47 am 
Kommunist
Kommunist

I don't really need anything better than the speed code I already made, but what I meant by "physical" was the cable I need to connect my PC to do ASM, which I don't have yet. I might get one soon, though.