Kodewerx

Our culture has advanced beyond all that you could possibly comprehend with one hundred percent of your brain.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:03 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: MIPS 4300 disasm -> HTML
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 8:04 pm 
Kommunist
Kommunist

Title: pwntendoer
I've spent the day working on an N64 disassembler that outputs to HTML, creating hyperlinks for all the JAL, J, and branch instructions. It tries to determine where functions begin and end and stores each function in its own HTML file. Eventually, I want the HTML output to act as a rudimentary flow chart for the code.

2 questions:

1. Does anything like this already exist?
2. Is anyone else interested in this idea?

Here's what I'm talking about:

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 10:15 am 
Krew (Admin)
Krew (Admin)

Title: All in a day's work.
It sounds useful to the Descend project:

http://www.kodewerx.org/wiki/index.php/Descend
http://blog.kodewerx.org/
http://hg.kodewerx.org/descend

Though keep in mind, I would rather replace the Descend lexer (A JavaScript which produces XHTML output) with a canvas element. Something similar to Bespin

Feed me a stray cat.

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 3:35 pm 
Kommunist
Kommunist

Thanks for pointing that out to me. Looks very interesting, though I am not particularly familiar with XUL. I'll have to get a copy of Descend running to really understand. What do you see as the advantages of developing a debugger using this particular technology?

Edit:
BTW, Mercurial?? What's wrong with good old CVS? I have to download a new version control client every week ;)

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 3:59 pm 
Kommunist
Kommunist

Bespin looks lovely too.

"We actually used the canvas tag that is a new feature introduced by HTML 5 that's supported by pretty much every major browser and has been for some time, with the exception of Internet Explorer ... *long silence*"

LOL

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 9:50 pm 
Krew (Admin)
Krew (Admin)

I *hate* CVS. SVN is a step up, but still not particularly great. Between git and hg, I chose hg because I had to familiarize myself with it to follow Mozilla anyway.

The reasons for using Mozilla have been covered (to some extent) on the wiki: http://www.kodewerx.org/wiki/index.php/ ... orm_design

Feed me a stray cat.

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 10:50 pm 
Kommunist
Kommunist

If it were up to me the whole world would use SVN, but truthfully I wouldn't really care what it was so long as everyone wasn't using something different. Enough of that nonsense. The narrow path of cross platform software development is indeed fraught with wicked temptation:

java = fail

My immediate inclination would be to write it in C++ and use a cross platform windowing lib, like Gtk+. The Windows builds of Gimp are fantastic. But...

Gtk+ is only sort of cross platform. Good luck on anything but Windows or Linux. This is true of most cross platform windowing libs that I know of.

"Unlike Java and .NET, XULRunner applications are built with native code and have a native look-and-feel ("native" is in reference to the host operating system)."

Good point. This is tough. And from what I've read so far, XUL seems to simplify UI creation pretty dramatically. Writing something like this using Gtk+ (especially with the CSS support) would be a pretty massive undertaking. I've got the day off work tomorrow, I'll dig into the code a bit so I can offer some more informed feedback.

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 11:39 pm 
Krew (Admin)
Krew (Admin)

orbitaldecay wrote:
java = fail

Absolutely. For the curious, I might suggest studying the differences between Java and JavaScript.

orbitaldecay wrote:
My immediate inclination would be to write it in C++ and use a cross platform windowing lib, like Gtk+. The Windows builds of Gimp are fantastic. But...

I like GTK+. But I do not like GTK+ on OS X. I like OS X. This is a conflict I cannot live with. Some headway is being made, but it's just not "there yet."

orbitaldecay wrote:
Gtk+ is only sort of cross platform. Good luck on anything but Windows or Linux. This is true of most cross platform windowing libs that I know of.

:(

orbitaldecay wrote:
"Unlike Java and .NET, XULRunner applications are built with native code and have a native look-and-feel ("native" is in reference to the host operating system)."

Good point. This is tough. And from what I've read so far, XUL seems to simplify UI creation pretty dramatically. Writing something like this using Gtk+ (especially with the CSS support) would be a pretty massive undertaking. I've got the day off work tomorrow, I'll dig into the code a bit so I can offer some more informed feedback.

Another project to check out is Syndrome, a Mega Man 7 ROM editor I've been writing for XULRunner. (It's been ported from C++/MFC, to C/Win32, and finally JS/XUL.) The main reason behind this little project was to familiarize myself with XUL and the platform. In fact, it uses very little XUL. So I guess it has been mostly an exercise in real JavaScript programming (as opposed to silly website scripting). One of the things it needs for performance's sake is native code (a C++ module) to do the actual pixel drawing as fast as possible. So it's really a good one to learn from.

The main reason to use XULRunner? The Mozilla philosophy is tops, and I wish to support them because of it.

Feed me a stray cat.