Kodewerx

Our culture has advanced beyond all that you could possibly comprehend with one hundred percent of your brain.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:16 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:04 pm 
Kommunist
Kommunist

Does anyone know how to get in touch with any of the people who hacked codes for the Dreamcast Codebreaker way back then? There are definitely undocumented code types, but I'm not sure how many.

For example, if you decrypt any of their codes for PSOv2, they all start with 0E code type, which is the conditional code type. But the comparison type on them all is 08, which is not one of the documented comparison types. Another example is the 0B0xxxxx code type, which is documented as a delay code. But if I look at a disassembly of the binary, there's logic that also looks for 0B6 and 0B7 code types and does something different for those, although I haven't really traced it properly to figure out what it does.

What I'm hoping to find is an undocumented pointer code type, so I can avoid doing ASM patches. I thought maybe PSO might have required them, but it's not clear what their undocumented use of the 0E type is doing and otherwise seems to be writing to normal non-moving addresses.

In the worst case scenario, I can try to disassemble the codebreaker binary further and hope I can figure out what it's doing. Normally it would be pretty easy for me do an ASM patch on the game I'm looking at, but it happens to be one that doesn't run in any of the emulators that I know of with debuggers.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 10:31 am 
Kommunist
Kommunist

We can disregard this at this point, someone else addressed my problem via an ASM patch after I posted the information about the pointer.
But it would be nice to know about the undocumented types just so that they can get documented somewhere.